Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Crunchitize Me, Cap'n

Since having my first son in November 2004 I have discovered that I deeply enjoy breastfeeding, so much that I let my children decide when to wean. Yes, that's right folks, child-lean weaner right here. The amazing benefits of breastmilk don't stop just because your baby has teeth, becomes mobile, or can express themselves with words or sentences. It makes me sad how many women feel they must stop breastfeeding to appease family, friends, or even worse, the average schmuck stranger who may make a comment that is nothing short of uneducated blather. I love knowing that my babes are getting great immunity from the food source designed specifically for their needs.

I've discovered that that I enjoy sleeping in the same bed with my babies. We don't have a family bed, but for the first year or so I cuddle my babies to sleep. I don't know how anyone could CIO with an infant. Babies don't cry because they are manipulative or vengeful. Babies only know what they need..whether he is a tiny babe crying out with a hungry belly or an older babe crying out for their mama's gentle touch and safe arms. My bed might seem crowded to some, but it's also full of love.

Baby wearing is something I rave about to anyone who will listen..ring sling, hotsling, mei tai..and in the event of an emergency, Snugli. When I watch other families who are using a big bulky stroller and awkwardly navigating their way around I wonder if they knew just how much easier it would be if they were wearing their babes. I wish I could carry extra slings with me wherever I went so when I passed by a mom or dad who is trying to console their unhappy baby from the carseat carrier, stroller, or shopping cart I could give them a sling and show them how easy it could be to make their baby happy. Whether we are taking a walk around the neighborhood, doing some grocery shopping, or getting some household work done, our slings (including the mei tai!!) have been a saving grace.

Something I have only recently discovered with my youngest babe, Trent, is how great cloth diapering is. AIOs are awesome and even more lately is my conversion to cloth wipes. No more money being blown on diapers and wipes every two weeks...it's all washed and used again!! Woohoo!! I am using Osocozy AIO (all in one) so that the cotton inside and cloth cover and one diaper and they connect using velcro. And for the skeptic who's wondering about the poop factor, just go take a look at the diaper sprayer. Hooks right up to the pipes for the toilet and voila! we can spray the poop right into the toilet where everybody else's poop goes. Excellent, eh? Oh! And must not forget to mention that I have my middle child, Kade, also in cloth. His opinion? Disposables are scratchy and cloth is soft.

And it is in making these gradual discoveries that along the way I have been able to unleash the tree hugger within...

No comments:

Post a Comment