Friday, December 18, 2009

Centers

In part of coming to our agreement with Braxton about ending our public school days and beginning our adventure in homeschooling he said he wanted to have "centers" like they do at preschool, so we are. We already have a sand and water table, though it's only being used for water so we are going to need a seperate bin for sand/dirt so that one is covered. We have since bought a play kitchen and kitchen items and I am in the process of learning how to make felt food. I may start out with a flat version and once I feel confident with my creativity (and once I get a sewing machine) I'll begin the fluffy stuff. I think starting out with fruits and veggies will be easiest, then move on to breakfast foods like pancakes and eggs then add in things like fish, cookies and cupcakes, and finally sandwich foods. I'm so excited!

Some other center ideas I've been contemplating are playdough (going to make the fruity scented kind) and a tool area (the boys love being "working dads"). Maybe expanding on the playdough and making it a basic art station. All sorts of paints and items to paint with....sponges, ice, fruit/veggies, spiky balls...anything that encourages their creativity. And for the tool area I'm sure Paul would love to put something together and maybe even donate some of his odds and ends that no longer serve a purpose for him.

These are the types of things I love about the idea of unschooling. We follow our children as they guide us in what and how they learn and we provide plenty of opportunities to discover more. Right now Braxton is really into dinosaurs and Kade is into trains. I do think a visit to the Thanksgiving Point Dinosaur Museum is in order, along with a trip to the Utah State Railroad Museum. Fieldtrips!!

No comments:

Post a Comment