Sunday, October 3, 2010

5 Positive for Every Negative - Breastfeeding

In our Sunday School class we have talked about how it is important for spouses to say 5 positive comments for every 1 negative or neutral comment. I like this idea. And I think it should be applied to all aspects of ones life. So here is my one negative:

I am feeling so irritated at the moment that for the last few months, every time I sit down, I am seen as the mlking cow to my son. When I don't volunteer the milk, he lifts/pulls/tears my shirt off himself, and if I still decline to acquiese, then he slaps he slaps. GAAAAH!!!

1. I am blessed to be able to breastfeed him. There are some who are unable at all and some who would love to nurse longer than they have experienced. Next week my babe will 18 months and he still loves the breast.

2. Because of breastfeeding, my son has a stronger immunity. Illnesses last shortly and are infrequent, even with having two older brothers.

3. We have a stronger bond because of how much time has been spent breastfeeding. This is not to say that you can only have a strong bond with breastfeeding, but it is true for my son and I.

4. Because of the amount of time spent breastfeeding, my older boys have come to understand that breasts are not just sexual. My children only know that breasts are functional for the purposes of feeding and soothing babies. And that ideal is reinforced everytime my booby monster is at the breast.

5. No matter how upset my baby is, I know that he can be calmed by the closeness of nursing. He can feel my warmth, hear my heart beating, and close his eyes in comfort as his belly is filled with the deliciousness of mama milk. Those are comforts he's known from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment